The Panzer II had originally been designed as a stopgap while larger, more advanced tanks were developed, it nonetheless went on to play an important role in the early years of World War II, during the Polish and French campaigns. The Panzer II was the most numerous tank in the German Panzer divisions at the beginning of the war. It was used both in North Africa against the Western Allies and on the Eastern Front against the Soviet Union.
By October 1944, about 386 Panzer II were in operation (survivors of previous campaigns), and by March 1945, there were about 145 Panzer II still active. Between 1934 and January 1944, a total of 1,856 units produced, excluding conversions.
- Four possible variants: Ausf A, B, C, and F
- Frame antenna for Beobachtungswagen included
- Early & late production turrets for most variants
- Turret hatch can be open or closed
- Tank commander included